5 “Vegetarian Foods” I Never Eat
Healy Real Food Vegetarian April
11, 2013
I often see a lot of misconception surrounding vegetarianism
from many people in the real food community and vice-versa. In my opinion the
paleo/WAPF/traditional foods movements and vegetarians have a lot in common
(see my article Not All Vegetarians Are Created Equal). So, I wanted to
create this two part series on what a real food vegetarian eats. I’m starting
off with a list of 5 “Vegetarian Foods” That I Never Eat and
why. Tomorrow, I will post 5 Real Food Vegetarian Protein Sources so
you can get an idea of the kind of food that a real food vegetarian eats!
Most of the items on my list of ‘Vegetarian Foods I Never
Eat’ are highly processed foods. The “Real Food” movement is most commonly
defined by the avoidance of processed foods. Of course, considering the fact
that processed food is so prevalent in the American diet, the lines between
natural and processed have been blurred. Many packaged food products have the
word “natural” written right on it, further confusing average consumers who may
not have the time to analyze these products and all the ingredients in them.
In this day and age it’s hard to completely avoid processed
food and I can’t say that I’m perfect, but I do try my hardest to avoid it at
all cost. In my opinion, processed food is packaged food (even if it says
natural on it!). If you don’t know how it was made or can’t make it yourself at
home, that’s a pretty good indicator that it’s not natural. However, I think
the 80/20 rule is good way to live, meaning that you eat healthy 80% of the
time and every once in a while (20% of the time) you go out with friends and
get a pizza or ice cream or whatever. Trying to be perfect all the time can
cause major stress which is also unhealthy!
This list is not intended as a list of foods that YOU should
never eat. It is however a list of foods that I myself do not eat and would
encourage anyone to exercise caution before consuming. I often get emails from
readers asking me what I eat, so I want to start with what I don’t eat. I will
share a few foods that are commonly regarded as health foods and are widely
considered to be “vegetarian food” that I try to avoid.
Whether or not
YOU should eat these foods is up to you. Make your own informed decision. Look
at all the relevant information out there and decide what is best for you.
1. Tofu

Aside from being a highly processed food, soy, which is what
tofu is made of, has been shown to have many troubling effects on health. Just
to name a few: soy is high in phytates (phytic acid) and trypsin inhibitors
which makes it hard to digest and even blocks absorption of certain vitamins,
minerals and proteins.
To break down this anti-nutrient (phytic acid) in grains and
legumes, it helps to sprout or soak them. However, this is not enough for soy.
It needs to be fermented to effectively reduce phytic acid. Although Asian
cultures have thrived despite consuming soy for centuries, they have
traditionally only eaten fermented soy (like soy sauce, tempeh, natto and miso)
in very small quantities.
94% of soy is Genetically Modified (GMO). Since soy is one
of the most vastly grown cash-crops in the US, it’s not surprising that it’s in
everything. The over-processing of soy can create a dangerous product. Soy
lecithin, soybean oil, mono- and di-glycerides and MSG (monosodium glutamate)
are all common derivatives of soy.
Soy also contains phytoestrogens which can disrupt normal
hormone function. I experienced this hormonal disruption first-hand and have
heard testimonials from others with similar stories. Years ago when I used to
eat a lot of soy I always had a very irregular menstrual cycle. A woman’s
period should come roughly every thirty days, but I could never count on mine
coming at the same time each month. Sometimes it would be every other month
sometimes it wouldn’t come for three months, I never knew. I even went to an
endocrinologist after a while to see if they could get to the bottom of it, but
the doctor wasn’t able to explain it and told me that it didn’t really matter
unless I was trying to conceive. When I started reading up on the issues with
soy I decided to stop eating it. It’s been a few years since I’ve regularly
eaten soy and my menstruation has been completely regular ever since.
I rarely eat soy products and if I do, I make sure it is
organic or non-GMO and fermented. I definitely don’t depend on it as a primary
source of protein.
Sources:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_1822466.html
http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/11/19/soy-is-not-a-health-food/
http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
http://thewholesoystory.com/
http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/11/19/soy-is-not-a-health-food/
http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
http://thewholesoystory.com/
2. Veggie Burgers

Although they are commonly thought of as a health food, I
would not consider them as such. Most store bought veggie burgers have tons of
industrially processed chemicals, additives, MSG, GMOs and unhealthy oils.
However, making homemade veggie burgers can be a great alternative! I often
make my own with ingredients like sprouted lentils, vegetables, sprouted or
soaked rice, quinoa and pasture raised eggs. Check out my homemade sprouted lentil veggie burger recipe!
To show you an exmaple of how processed store-bought veggie
burgers actually are, I’ve written the ingredients for a morningstar burger
below. It’s a veritable cocktail of industrially processed oils, GMOs and MSG!
Food companies routinely mislead consumers by hiding MSG in packaged foods that
would otherwise appear to be free of MSG. It is not only listed on ingredients
labels as monosodium glutamate anymore, it’s also hidden in many foods listing
yeast extract, anything “hydrolyzed”, textured protein and more (from Beautiful Babies).
Morning Star Burger:
GMOs are Highlighted in Orange
MSGs are Highlighted in Yellow
*Many ingredients are both MSG and GMO, but I just labeled one or the other.
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION) [GMO], CORN OIL [GMO], EGG WHITES, CALCIUM CASEINATE [MSG], CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH [GMO], ONION POWDER, MIXED TRIGLYCERIDES [GMO], CANOLA OIL [GMO], HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN [MSG] (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), DEXTROSE [GMO], SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE [GMO] ,NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS [MSG], SALT, YEAST EXTRACT [MSG], SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR [GMO], WHEY [MSG], METHYLCELLULOSE [GMO], SPICE [MSG], GARLIC POWDER,MALTODEXTRIN [GMO], DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE [MSG], SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, ETHYL ALCOHOL, WHEAT) [GMO], AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT [MSG], ASCORBIC ACID [GMO], THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), NIACINAMIDE, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY LECITHIN [GMO], IRON (FERROUS SULFATE), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), VITAMIN B12.
Shocking right?! What you have left is sugar, egg whites,
onion powder, salt, garlic powder and a bunch of synthetic vitamins… Yum!
3. Soy Milk

Like I said above in regards to tofu, I avoid soy because of
the health related concerns I have with it, because it is highly processed and
because 94% is GMO unless labeled otherwise. Apart from that, soy milk also has
additives and sweeteners that make it far from healthy.
Soy milk is rarely just soy beans and water. It often
contains sugar, “natural flavor” (which usually contains MSG), and carageenan
which has been shown to contribute to gastrointestinal problems and colon
cancer in clinical trials (Carageenan
Study).
Many years ago when I used to consume a lot of soy, I bought
soy milk powder at a health food store so I could make my own. It didn’t have
any sugar or other additives, so I thought it would be a healthy money saver. I
added the water to the powder and took a sip…I spat it out immediately! It was
disgusting! This is why almost all soy milk has added sugar because I don’t
think anyone would drink it without some kind of sweetener!
4. Vegan Butter Substitutes or Earth Balance

Most of these butter substitutes are full of canola and
soybean oil. Although canola oil is vastly regarded as a healthy oil, many
(including myself) agree that it is far from healthy and marketed as a healthy
oil by big food companies hoping to make a profit on cheap oils. I would consider
pure olive oil or coconut oil to be a much better alternative (where to buy high quality olive oil and coconut oil). Both soybean oil
and canola oil are high in polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) and the industrial
processing of these oils creates free radicals which can cause all kinds of
health problems and has been linked to cancer. There’s so much back story on
canola oil and soybean oil that to go into it completely could merit a whole
separate post. So, if you want to learn more about it I’ll refer you to these
posts:
http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-canola-oil-not-health-food/
http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/skinny-on-fats/#modern
http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/skinny-on-fats/#modern
5. TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)

Textured vegetable protein. It’s meant to sound very nice
isn’t it? Like it’s made all naturally from vegetables, but it’s basically more
soy! TVP is used in a lot of fake meat products like veggie burgers, soy
sausage, tofurkey, etc.
Here’s what wikipedia says about how it’s made:
“The defatted thermoplastic proteins are heated to
150-200°c, which denatures them into a fibrous, insoluble, porous network that
can soak up as much as three times its weight in liquids. Many TVP
producers use hexane to separate soy fat from soy protein, and trace amounts of
the solvent are left after manufacturing.”
Doesn’t sound so natural anymore does it? It sounds like a
science experiment rather than food. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not
have any trace of hexane in my food. The process of creating TVP also creates
free glutamic acids which is MSG. MSG has been linked to brain damage, nervous
disorders and hormone problems (from beautiful babies).
5 Real Food Vegetarian Protein Sources
First off, I think it’s important to point out that the
quality of protein is more important than the quantity. Weight loss gurus and
nutritional nuts have preached the importance of the almighty protein for years
making people feel like they need to stock up on tubs of protein powder,
protein bars and shakes. Nowadays, many will agree that even if you do have a
few scoops of protein powder that it’s been so over-processed and stripped of
any real nutrients that it’s pretty much useless. Most are fat-free anyway and
good fats help your body absorb protein more readily.
So, while 1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt may have more
protein than say one cup of regular raw milk yogurt, the raw milk yogurt will
benefit you more by keeping you fuller longer, providing you with CLA, EFAs and
more manganese, iron, vitamin C and B6 than it’s pasteurized counterpart (benefits of raw milk). The non-fat or low-fat versions
often have more sugar and added milk powder which is industrially processed and
doesn’t give you any of the benefits of the fat!
I’ve learned that it’s not quite as black and white as the
number of calories or fat or protein you consume, but rather the quality!
These 5 protein sources that I’ve listed below are ones that
I often eat and consider to be healthy whole foods. Some people have different
preferences and different dietary needs. As always, do what’s best for you and
your body!
1. Pasture Raised Eggs

I probably have pasture raised eggs every day. It’s a shame
that a lot of people fear eggs because of cholesterol. The link between dietary
cholesterol and heart disease has been disproved. Many agree that it is
actually inflammation that causes heart disease and that sugar and other
processed foods create inflammation. In fact, cholesterol is vital for healthy
brain development, sexual health and synthesis of Vitamin D (see related
articles- Dr.
Mercola, Food
renegade, Our
Nourishing Roots).
Again, it’s important to specify that the quality of eggs is
of the utmost importance. If you buy the standard battery eggs, organic eggs,
or organic and cage-free eggs you still won’t get a fraction of the benefits of
a pastured egg. To learn more about the difference between all these egg labels
check out this article- Real
Food University.
A study that tested several pasture raised flocks of hens
around the country showed that their eggs had 2/3 more vitamin A, 2 times more
omega-3 fatty acids, 3 times more vitamin E and 7 times more beta carotene than
conventional eggs (source).
Is it really so strange to think that healthy hens that are allowed to live in
the sun and eat what they naturally should will produce healthier eggs than the
hens that live in a dark cage their entire lives being fed GMO soy and corn?
Yes, they cost more, but they’re worth it considering the
health benefits and the amount of beneficial protein, vitamin D, vitamin B-12
and other nutrients that it can provide to a vegetarian diet AND you can feel
good knowing that the hens live a happy life outdoors eating grass and bugs and
all the other good stuff that they’re supposed to!
Here’s what cheeseslave has
to say about the cost:
“It’s true that pastured eggs cost more. But isn’t it
obvious that it is worth it? You’d have to eat 5 supermarket eggs to get the
same amount of vitamin D from one pastured egg. You may be able to buy a dozen
eggs for a buck or two at the grocery store, but you get what you pay for. The
national average for pastured eggs is about $4-5 per dozen. However, they are
worth that in terms of nutrient density.” (source)
Check out some of my recipes
using eggs!
2. Lentils (sprouted or
soaked)

Lentils are packed with protein, fiber and other great
vitamins and minerals like magnesium and folate. Soaking or sprouting is vital
to harness the benefits that grains, legumes and seeds have to offer.
Sprouting and soaking were common traditional practices long
ago, but since the development of fast, cheap and convenient foods, it has lost
it’s popularity. Sprouting is a process that germinates grains, seeds or
legumes which in turn makes them more easily digested and produces additional
vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin B and Carotene. It helps to
decrease the amount of phytic acid present in grains. Phytic acid, an enzyme
inhibitor, blocks the absorption of vitamins and minerals. It can also cause
poor digestion and an unhealthy gut.
This may explain why many people feel bloated, gassy or
intolerant of beans and grains. Some people who believe that they are gluten
intolerant actually do quite well with properly sprouted grains. If you do have
grain allergies or gluten intolerance please consult your health practitioner
before attempting to consume sprouted or soaked grains and do so with caution.
The way that you sprout any grain, seed or legume is the
same, only the amount of time you sprout it changes. For an example on how to
sprout check out my post on how to
sprout red lentils.
To soak grains just cover the amount of grain or bean you’d
like to cook with filtered water in a bowl or pot and add 1 tbsp vinegar, lemon
juice or liquid whey for every cup of beans or grains. Soak for 12-24 hours,
then drain, rinse and cook! Use less water to cook than you would for unsoaked
beans and grains.
Check out my recipe for vegetarian meatloaf with sprouted red lentils!
3. Whole Milk Yogurt and Kefir (preferably made from raw
milk)

Definitely skip the non-fat and low-fat milk, kefir and
yogurt! Here’s what Kristin Michaelis of Food Renegade has to say about low-fat
milk in her book beautiful babies:
“If the milk has fat removed (as in skim, 1%, and 2%
varieties), it’s not only going to be missing all the fat-soluble vitamins the
body needs to properly digest the calcium and other goodies in the milk, but it
will also usually have nonfat dry milk or other milk solids added to create a
more desirable consistency. These forms of dry milk are high in free glutamic
acids (also known as “MSG”) and oxidized cholesterol (a dangerous, inflammatory
form of cholesterol that can cause heart disorders).”
Again, raw milk can be be quite expensive, but it’s worth it
to me considering the benefits. You can find raw milk in your area through this
website- Real Milk.
You can also look into buying clubs or craigslist to see if any local farms
offer raw milk delivery or pickup.
I know it can actually be pretty hard to find raw whole milk
yogurt. So, I make my own yogurt. You can get yogurt starters online to use at
home (where
to buy yogurt starters). I also have ayogurt
maker which makes it really easy to make!
If you can’t get your hands on raw milk, I would recommend
sticking to organic, grass-fed whole milk yogurt, kefir and other milk
products! It’s better for your health, better for the animal and better for the
environment!
4. Almonds or other nuts (preferably sprouted or soaked)

I love having almonds, cashews, walnuts and pecans around
for a tasty snack! Nuts are full of good fats, amino acids, vitamins, minerals
and fiber! All of which help you absorb the protein! It is helpful however to
sprout or soak the nuts to get the full benefits that they have to offer. Like
grains, nuts also have phytic acid which can block many helpful enzymes.
Soaking and sprouting can also make nuts more easily digested.
Nourishing
traditions is a great book when learning all about traditional food.
It has directions on how to sprout and soak seeds, nuts and beans along with
other real food information.
You can also check out these articles on how to soak nuts- http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/06/01/soaking-nuts-and-seeds/
5. Beans (soaked or sprouted)

Beans, beans the musical fruit, right? Well, not if you soak
or sprout them! Many say that the digestive upset and..ahem, gassy feeling you
get after eating beans is because they’re not properly prepared by first
soaking or sprouting them! Luckily it’s easy, healthy and CHEAP to soak beans
rather than buying BPA laden cans of them!
All you have to do is buy dry beans (which are very
inexpensive!). A few of my favorites are black beans, pinto beans and garbanzo
beans. Put the dry beans in a big pot or bowl and cover with water. Make sure
to also put in 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or whey for every cup
of beans. The beans need an acidic medium to combat the phytic acid. Different
beans need different soaking times, but they are all generally between the
12-48 hour mark. I usually try to soak longer rather than shorter. Remember to
skim off any foam and rinse before you cook.
I usually soak a big pot of beans at once so that after I
cook them I can store some in the freezer for easy access later for tacos,
burritos, etc.
You can read more about soaking beans here- http://nourishedkitchen.com/soaking-grains-nuts-legumes/

No comments:
Post a Comment