
If you haven't had Kogi, you need to. Kogi is a Korean BBQ Taco Truck - actually a fleet of trucks. There is no Kogi restaurant, they operate entirely out of their vehicles. They park around town, from lunchtime until 11pm, Tuesday through Saturday.
Kogi is a melding of Mexican and Korean flavors. They offer 3 types of meat: short rib, spicy pork, and chicken. You can get tacos, burritos, quesadillas, hot dogs, sliders, mulitas and more, all spiced up with a little kimchi. MMMMMmmmmm. I'm telling you, it's DELICIOUS! And they're always coming up with new concoctions. Now they're offering some fancy desserts, and they even have a little shaved ice truck to accompany them!
These guys are amazing. And so smart! They have over 1,500 followers on Twitter. They are now servicing an area reaching from Long Beach to Downtown, and all the way out to Santa Monica and Venice. They tweet about their next location, and a line is formed BEFORE they even arrive! I've seen a line for the Kogi truck around the block!
Conveniently for me, they often park right outside my front door during lunchtime, and outside of Golden Gopher in the evening.
There are now a few other competing Korean BBQ trucks, including BOOL and ..... oh ..... I forgot the name of the other one. But don't be fooled. I thought I would give one of the others a try, and it was a sad, sad mistake. No imitations. Just Kogi.
In fact, they were having a little battle with Baja Fresh over the name, Kogi, which they own the copyright for. Baja Fresh, who is trying to capitalize on this Korean/Mexican phenomena (and also adding margaritas to their menu - ?), soon conceded the name, and is now planning to go with "Gogi". Yeah. Lame.
I digress. Wednesday nights are happy when the Kogi truck is parked in front of Golden Gopher and I get to have short rib/kimchi tacos on the way home from 7Grand. Sountrack provided by our favorite crackhead musician - another downtown staple.
No comments:
Post a Comment